Behind every well-run and organized office is an administrative assistant who performs a multitude of tasks and acts as a hub of information. A typical day in this job is never dull. It's filled with a variety of activity, and dealing with different personalities and changing priorities is more often the norm than the exception to the rule.
According to the latest OfficeTeam Salary Guide, candidates for these jobs not only need strong core skills (see below), but they must also have a positive, can-do attitude and excellent interpersonal skills to communicate with a variety of people, from customers and colleagues to vendors and top executives.
Administrative assistant salary ranges
According to the 2018 OfficeTeam Salary Guide, here are the midpoint salaries for a number of administrative jobs:
- Entry-level administrative assistant: $32,000
- Administrative assistant: $35,000
- Senior administrative assistant: $41,500
- Medical secretary/administrative assistant: $35,000
Administrative assistant job description
In addition to having good business sense and a track record of demonstrating initiative and collaboration, an administrative assistant's job description typically includes:
- Administrative and office support for multiple supervisors/employees including: creating documents, spreadsheets and presentations, and filing and email.
- Office systems’ administration including: data entry, records maintenance and look-up, and report development and retrieval
- Assisting in team event planning
- Fielding and screening telephone calls
- Researching data on the Internet
Some essential qualifications that organizations look for in an administrative assistant are:
- Excellent verbal and written communications, listening and customer service skills
- Professional appearance (i.e., personal appearance and attitude)
- Organizational skills
- Multi-tasking skills and ability to be flexible when priorities shift
- Extensive computer and software skills
Find your next administrative assistant job
Skilled administrative assistants are in demand in offices across the United States, and we can help you find your next job. Candidates like Rachelle Bejin have good things to say about working with us:
"OfficeTeam has allowed me to build great relationships resulting in increased opportunities. Overall, my experience with OfficeTeam has been positive and has given me the ability to be more marketable, preparing me for long-term employment."
See our open administrative assistant jobs in these hot cities:
- Administrative assistant jobs in Atlanta
- Administrative assistant jobs in Memphis, Tenn.
- Administrative assistant jobs in Phoenix
- Administrative assistant jobs in San Antonio, Texas
- Administrative assistant jobs in Tampa, Fla.
This post has been updated to reflect more current information.