Posted by The Creative Group on Thursday, January 7, 2016 - 09:00 | Follow me
If you have impeccable writing skills, can quickly interpret client needs and work well under tight time constraints, creative agencies and in-house departments want to hear from you. Copywriter is an in-demand position, according to The Creative Group Salary Guide. The need is especially high for copywriters with web and mobile experience.
Read on for a look at the copywriter job description and current copywriter salary expectations.
Copywriter duties and expectations
Copywriter job descriptions run the gamut from print to web, and ads to longer-form content. Copywriters work for agencies or in-house, so specific copywriter job descriptions will vary depending on the function, goals and needs of the employer. Fundamental job requirements generally include:
- Writing clear, concise and grammatically correct copy
- Driving the creation of original concepts that result in effective and compelling communication
- Understanding different language styles that appeal to various target markets
- Developing and maintaining a clear and consistent brand voice
- Experience with web markup language and search engine optimization
- Familiarity with commonly used style guides
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Self-motivated and well organized
Professional experience and skills
Copywriter job descriptions often indicate that experience is valued over education. If you don't have a degree in writing, you can still find a job with a portfolio of great work. Even if you're just starting out, you likely have writing samples to show, such as website copy you developed for a pro bono project.
A diverse portfolio will feature a variety of media and formats: print ads, television, radio, digital ad banners, search engine optimized (SEO) web content, blog posts, bylines and direct marketing email.
Good written and verbal communication skills are vital since you'll be interacting with teams and clients. You'll need to explain, sell and defend your ideas, while remaining open to feedback and constructive criticism. Creativity, attention to detail, adaptability and marketing knowledge are also required.
Copywriter salary benchmarks
According to The Creative Group Salary Guide, a copywriter salary for someone with one to three years of professional experience ranges from $44,250 to $62,750. Those with three to five years of experience can expect to earn a starting salary of $60,500 to $81,500. If you have more than five years of experience, the copywriter starting salary range jumps to $79,750 to $108,000. Use our Salary Calculator to adjust these salaries for your city.
Does the copywriter job description have your name on it? Search our available copywriting jobs.
More posts on copywriting
- 5 Ways to Win More Freelance Writing Jobs
- The Write Stuff: How to Improve Your Writing Skills
- How to Break Into Copywriting
- How to Craft a Winning Copywriter Resume and Cover Letter
Editor's note: This post has been updated with the latest Salary Guide data.