If you have impeccable writing skills, can quickly interpret client needs and work well under tight time constraints, creative agencies and in-house departments want to hear from you. The need is especially high for copywriters with web and mobile experience.
Read on for a look at the copywriter job description and current copywriter salary expectations.
Copywriter salary benchmarks
Explore the latest Robert Half Salary Guide for copywriter salary projections. You can also find out what a copywriter can earn in your city.
Copywriter duties and expectations
Copywriter job descriptions run the gamut from print to web, and ads to longer-form content. Copywriters work for agencies or in-house, so specific copywriter job descriptions will vary depending on the function, goals and needs of the employer. Fundamental job requirements generally include:
- Writing clear, concise and grammatically correct copy
- Driving the creation of original concepts that result in effective and compelling communication
- Understanding different language styles that appeal to various target markets
- Developing and maintaining a clear and consistent brand voice
- Experience with web markup language and search engine optimization
- Familiarity with commonly used style guides
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Self-motivated and organized
Professional experience and skills
Copywriter job descriptions often indicate that experience is valued over education. If you don't have a degree in writing, you can still find a job with a portfolio of great work. Even if you're just starting out, you likely have writing samples to show, such as website copy you developed for a pro bono project.
A diverse portfolio will feature a variety of media and formats: print ads, television, radio, digital ad banners, search engine optimized (SEO) web content, blog posts, bylines and direct marketing email.
Good written and verbal communication skills are vital because you'll be interacting with teams and clients. You'll need to explain, sell and defend your ideas, while remaining open to feedback and constructive criticism. Creativity, attention to detail, adaptability and marketing knowledge are also required.
Does the copywriter job description have your name on it? Search our available jobs now!