Compelling interactive experiences? For a mobile designer, that's a given. Anywhere. Anytime. At your fingertips.
Feel naked without your smartphone? You can thank mobile designers and the interactive experiences they create for your obsession. Because we're not about to give up our apps, games and everything else we do on our devices anytime soon, it's no surprise that mobile designers are in demand.
Read on to see what the job is all about and the starting salary that mobile designers can expect.
Duties and expectations
Here are some of the responsibilities that typically appear in a mobile designer job description:
- Collaborate with cross-functional and user experience (UX) teams to create engaging content
- Demonstrate thorough understanding of the graphical and functional aspects of web and mobile design
- Work across platforms, including Android, HTML5 and iOS
- Analyze objectives to develop designs that meet client needs and are intuitive for the end user
- Create deliverables, including specifications, process workflows, wireframes and mock-ups
- Conduct quality assurance work to identify possible problems before launch
- Remain up-to-date on software developments and mobile trends
Professional experience and skills
No specific degree is required to become a mobile designer, but a design-related degree (in graphic, interaction or interface design, for instance) is preferred. A strong command of responsive design, UX, web metrics and programming is critical.
The best candidates have a working knowledge of industry trends. They are experts in software such as Photoshop, Illustrator and Fireworks. However, the real key is experience with web functionality and the ability to work across multiple platforms, as well as in native app design for iOS and Android operating systems. Experience with vector graphics, sometimes referred to as Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG), is increasingly in demand.
As with other interactive jobs, a strong online portfolio is pivotal. In addition, because mobile designers often work closely with developers and, in some cases, clients, strong communication skills and the ability to work as part of a team are essential.
Mobile designer salary benchmarks
According to The Creative Group 2019 Salary Guide, the midpoint starting salary for mobile designers is $84,000. Use our Salary Calculator to find out what a mobile designer can earn in your city.
Note: This post has been updated to reflect more current information.