Which Type of Change Is Toughest on Teams?

By Robert Half January 21, 2015 at 9:22am

WHICH TYPE OF CHANGE IS TOUGHEST ON TEAMS?

Change can be gradual or abrupt, dramatic or subtle. It happens in good times and bad, whether we’re prepared for it or not. How well does your team handle change in the workplace? Here’s what The Creative Group and AIGA discovered in a survey of more than 750 creative professionals nationwide.

TEAMS HAVE THE HARDEST TIME ADAPTING TO:

1. Changes in internal processes and procedures (e.g., new approval process)

7% Very easy
42% Easy
41% Challenging
10% Very challenging

2. Changes in staffing (e.g., new coworkers, restructuring)

9% Very easy
43% Easy
38% Challenging
10% Very challenging

3. Changes in business direction (e.g., new products/services/messaging)

16% Very easy
47% Easy
32% Challenging
5% Very challenging

4. Changes in technology (e.g., new design software)

18% Very easy
56% Easy
22% Challenging
4% Very challenging

CHANGE ISN’T ALWAYS EASY

Less than half (45%) of creative professionals believe change at their organization is carefully considered and well planned.

While 47% of creative professionals feel employees are involved in planning and implementing change, the other 53% disagree.

Only half of creative professionals say they receive adequate training and information to keep up with changes in the industry.

About two-thirds (64%) of creative professionals feel their leadership team is open to different ideas and opinions.

5 TIPS FOR NAVIGATING CORPORATE CHANGE

Help staff adjust faster and with less anxiety using these strategies

1. EXPLAIN THE CHANGES

Explain the impact of impending changes on individual team members and the whole group.

Help your team integrate new priorities and additional responsibilities to minimize anxiety and stress.

2. INVOLVE YOUR TEAM

Give your team an opportunity to talk about how they’ll handle the changes.

Use brainstorming sessions to spark dialogue and foster collaboration.

3. GET ORGANIZED

Encourage your team to make full use of project management software and other organizational tools to handle competing assignments and deadlines.

4. PROVIDE ONGOING SUPPORT

Ensure your team has adequate resources to take on new duties.

Offer additional training to prevent “trial-by-fire” pressure.

Bring in freelancers to help with projects as your staff gets up to speed.

5. RUN INTERFERENCE

Be an intermediary for your team and clients when necessary.

CREATIVE TEAM OF THE FUTURE

© 2015 The Creative Group. A Robert Half Company. An Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disability/Vet.

Source: The Creative Group survey of more than 750 in-house AIGA members nationwide.

Responses may not total 100 percent due to rounding.

More From the Blog...

Availability Status

Let us know you're ready to work with one click.

Update My Status

Set Your Status

Click the blue button on your profile page at least once a week to keep your status set to Available.

Set Your Status

Your status will automatically change to Idle and Unknown over time, so update it weekly while you’re looking for work

Update My Status