Director of accounting job description
Directors of accounting must possess strong communication, organizational, technology and leadership skills. Candidates usually have at least 10 years of experience, including previous management responsibility. They also should have comprehensive knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP). Those with public accounting experience have an advantage. Businesses expect a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in accounting but generally prefer applicants who also have earned a master’s degree in business administration (MBA) or certification such as certified public accountant (CPA) or certified management accountant (CMA).
Typical duties of a director of accounting
- Developing and maintaining accounting policies and procedures
- Planning, organizing and coordinating the year-end close process with internal and external auditors
- Ensuring successful completion of the company’s tax filings
- Preparing financial statements, including cash flow statements
- Planning, budgeting and authorizing expenditures
- Hiring, training and retaining competent accounting staff
Robert Half is a leading management staffing agency.