The designs? Solid. The concepts? Exceptionally user-friendly. Now it’s time to put these digital creations into motion and make them shine. Enter the front-end web developer.
There’s a lot of talk about user experience (UX) these days. A great user experience starts with a functional and attractive digital environment for users to explore. The best creative agencies and departments realize this. They go beyond ideas and enter the realm of implementation with the help of front-end web developers.
These masters of the web don’t just write code; they make the digital magic happen. They’re responsible for what you experience every time you open a browser, app or online game — from content to presentation to behavior layers.
Here’s a look at the typical front-end web developer job description and average front-end web developer salary.
Front-end web developer duties and expectations
A front-end web developer is generally expected to:
- Develop functional and appealing web- and mobile-based applications based on usability
- Provide website maintenance and enhancements
- Use a combination of markup languages to write web pages
- Write functional requirement documents and specifications
- Create quality mockups and prototypes on tight timelines
- Assist back-end developers with coding and troubleshooting
- Create cascading style sheets (CSS) that are consistent across all browsers and platforms
- Maintain graphic standards and branding throughout the product’s interface
- Stay up-to-date on emerging technologies
- Promote usability best practices
Job hunting? Check out our available front-end web developer positions now!
Professional experience and skills
In addition, an understanding of the entire web development process, including design, development and deployment, with some back-end knowledge, is important.
The best candidates have a strong understanding of industry trends and content management systems such as Drupal and WordPress, as well as software programs like the Adobe Creative Suite. Experience with responsive and adaptive design is also a big plus.
Because front-end web developers are responsible for interpreting and executing designs correctly, they must be able to effectively communicate with the creative team and clients. Other vital soft skills in the front-end web developer job description include the ability to solve problems and adapt quickly to new web design and application trends.
Front-end web developer salary benchmarks
The midpoint starting salary for a front-end web developer is $79,250, according to The Creative Group 2019 Salary Guide. Use our handy Salary Calculator to find out what a front-end web developer can make in your city.
This post has been updated to reflect more current information.