Accounting managers generally need at least five years of experience, as well as solid communication, technology and analytical abilities. Working knowledge of enterprise resource planning (ERP) systems is also valuable.
Companies expect a bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance but prefer candidates with advanced credentials such as a master’s degree in business administration (MBA) or certified public accountant (CPA).
Typical duties of an accounting manager
- Preparing and/or reviewing appropriate ledger entries and reconciliations
- Maintaining the general ledger system
- Preparing monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements; assisting with regulatory reporting as applicable
- Researching accounting issues for compliance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP)
- Coordinating the budget process
- Hiring, training and supervising accounting staff
Robert Half is a leading accounting staffing agency.