Posted by Kellie Shadle on Thursday, August 18, 2016 - 06:00
We all have our favorite mobile apps, from Pinterest to Pokémon Go. It's increased demand for mobile apps like these that have made it challenging for firms to find candidates with mobile app development skills.
Add to this a lack of relevant mobile application development training and curriculum offered by higher education today, creating an increasingly competitive hiring market and escalating application developer salary requirements.
The mobile application industry is booming, with total revenues from mobile apps projected to reach $99 billion by 2019. Not to mention that starting salaries for those with mobile application development skills are expected to see a 3.4 percent increase in 2017, to a range of $118,750-$182,250.
Use our Salary Calculator to look up the mobile app developer salary range in your area.
So it’s no wonder mobile applications developer is one of the most popular and promising jobs today. Want to land one of these coveted positions? Here are the mobile app development skills you’ll need:
Find out how wearable technology will keep mobile app developers busy in the future.
Technical skills required for mobile app developers:
- Hands-on experience developing mobile applications for any of the major platforms (iOS, Android, Windows Phone)
- Experience coding with Mobile Frameworks such as Xcode, Android SDK, and or Windows Phone App Studio
- Experience with mobile development languages such as Objective-C, Java for Android, and/or C# for Windows Phone
- Experience with responsive design for mobile-ready websites
- Experience with mobile app frameworks such as Sencha or PhoneGap
Soft skills for mobile app developers:
- Ability to collaborate well with others
- Strong interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
- Project management experience
- Ability to adapt to an agile development environment
Here's why soft skills can be more important than tech skills.
Mobile app developer education requirements
A college degree is not necessarily required, but a degree in Computer Science or Information Systems will definitely put you toward the top of the applicant list.
So whether you’re looking to switch careers or just to stay on the pulse of new technologies, take note of the list above and look into professional development opportunities for those with mobile app development skills – your current or future hiring manager is sure to be impressed with your motivation!
In addition to information on a mobile app developer salary and a mobile app development job description, you’ll find information on starting compensation for 70 IT jobs in 150 North American cities in our Salary Guide.
- Must-Have Skills for Mobile Application Development
- Where to Find Your New Favorite Mobile App Development
- Mobile App Development Comes of Age
Note: This post has been updated. It originally appeared on 11/18/13.