Posted by Jamie Carpen on Tuesday, December 17, 2013 - 00:00
I must confess: I have a love-hate relationship with running. I love the thrill I get when running in a race – the competition of running with others and the satisfaction of completing a race.
But doing the arduous, day-to-day work of training for a race and getting up at 5 a.m. to hop on my treadmill? Eh, not so much.
For many employers, today’s job market for IT professionals can often feel like a race – a race to identify top tech talent, bring them on board before a competitor snatches them and keep up with the ever-evolving changes in the tech world. At times this race can be exciting, but typically, it’s downright daunting.
Hard to Find: Qualified IT Candidates
You're not alone in that race. In fact, 63 percent of U.S. CIOs said it’s challenging to find skilled IT professionals today, according to the recent Robert Half Technology IT Hiring Forecast and Local Trend Report. This is especially true in the functional areas of networking, security and help desk/technical support.
To boot, employers are upping the ante to secure their favorite candidates, with salaries and benefits improving as companies try to keep up with new hiring conditions. Many employers, especially technology firms, are offering creative incentives (free gym memberships, complimentary dry cleaning) along with generous compensation packages to attract and retain skilled IT talent.
Where IT Staffing Agencies Come In
Working with specialized IT staffing agencies will not only help employers gain a competitive edge securing the best IT talent, but they can also help you save time and money. Here are five reasons why you should work with an IT staffing agency:
- Save time. When staff is lean and your core team is stretched thin, you may not have the time to address staffing gaps. A reputable firm can provide highly skilled individuals who can offer immediate, temporary assistance to meet your specific needs.
- Prevent productivity losses. The best IT staffing agencies understand that your requirements can change overnight, and they have the flexibility and speed to assist you with urgent needs. They can provide tech workers who will contribute immediately, helping you avoid days or even weeks of lost productivity.
- Identify needs. An experienced staffing service may know your needs before you do. They can serve as a knowledgeable guide as you embark on new projects or service offerings, helping you determine which professionals meet your particular needs and the optimal staffing mix, whether it’s full-time, temporary or a blend of both.
- Locate potential hires. The best IT staffing agencies can identify candidates you might not otherwise meet – highly skilled individuals who may not be actively looking for a new opportunity. And they can find people quickly. According to research conducted for our 2012 IT Salary Guide, it takes an average of five weeks to fill staff-level positions and seven weeks to fill management-level jobs.
- Avoid poor hiring decisions. Hiring a new full-time staff member can take months of planning and interviewing – valuable time that most businesses simply don’t have. But rushing the process is not the answer – hiring mistakes cost time and money. A staffing agency can sort through resumes and present you with the most promising candidates so you can focus on running the business.
By engaging the services of reputable IT staffing agencies, such as Robert Half Technology, employers can meet their goals without having to go through a time-consuming and costly process. It’s like winning the staffing “race” without having to wake up at 5 a.m. and train!