Posted by Cynthia Kong on Tuesday, January 20, 2015 - 17:13
Admit it, do you have a messy desk? If you can relate to any of these 10 situations, it may be time to do a little cleaning.
According to a new OfficeTeam survey, more than two-thirds of HR managers said it's at least somewhat acceptable to have a messy desk at work. And 9 percent even said a cluttered workspace is the sign of a creative person. Not everyone's going to judge you if your desk is untidy, but that doesn't mean you should approach it like it's no-holds-barred.
For those of you who aren't sure whether you have a messy desk, here are 10 sure-fire signs you need to clean up your act:
1. You have dust bunnies that have already reproduced tenfold.
2. Most of the paperwork on your desk was composed on typewriters.
3. Getting to your phone is like going through an obstacle course.
4. You could survive off the crumbs and half-empty coffee cups on your desk.
5. Trying to figure out which cord goes to what involves a game of eenie, meenie, miney, mo.
6. You lost your favorite pen somewhere on your desk. That was a month ago.
7. Your "Game of Thrones" poster and Beanie Babies collection are the first things people see.
8. People seem to always hum "Welcome to the Jungle" when they're nearby.
9. The piles on your desk are obstructing all natural light.
10. Coworkers stand at a distance when they talk to you at your desk -- or avoid your workspace altogether.
Check out the infographic below for more about our messy desk research!
What are your best desk organization tips?
- How to Organize Your Desk: 7 Tips
- Uh-Oh, Is Your Work Piling Up?
- Cool Office Gadgets for Your Black Friday Shopping List