Legal organizations have increasingly critical responsibilities for managing and safeguarding legal records and content. Factors such as the expanding use of digital records, data proliferation across multiple platforms and more stringent compliance requirements make this a high risk – and high priority – area.
Effective information governance policies
An effective and efficient information governance program addresses the many data-related risks the legal industry faces, stemming from compliance initiatives, cybersecurity exposures, corporate governance mandates, operational and financial reporting requirements, and litigation demands.
Firms also must comply with high-impact regulatory requirements, including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, payment card industry standards, state data breach notification laws, and the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure’s rules for governing electronically stored information. Given these growing demands, more organizations are compelled to examine — and often must defend — how they manage or “govern” content and records from creation through disposition.
A risk-based approach to information governance transcends traditional records management practices and enables organizations to better understand how they can create, organize, retain, and dispose of data, wherever it resides and in whatever form. The benefits of an effective information governance program include:
- Compliance with internal policies and legal and regulatory requirements
- Operational efficiencies resulting from greater clarity regarding the management and safeguarding of data
- Cost savings from practical solutions that reduce storage and retrieval costs, and streamline requirements for responding to investigations, litigation or regulatory requests
- Defensible policies and processes that allow organizations to demonstrate reasonable and good faith efforts when challenged
Our approach to information governance
Robert Half Legal, as a premier provider of legal consulting and staffing services, with over 3,000 consultants available worldwide, assists our clients with information governance. We use both industry and internally developed models to first develop a clear framework for prioritizing the organization’s current and future needs. We then help clients define their risk profile, and assess enterprise data structures and information flow. Finally, we recommend strategic options and practical work plans and timetables — all with the goal of reducing the risks, costs and burden associated with records management.
We recognize that information governance encompasses legal, technical and business process areas. With this in mind, Robert Half Legal has developed a 360-degree stress test designed to enforce data management requirements across custodians, matters and data repositories.
Robert Half Legal’s information governance solutions
Robert Half Legal offers a variety of services within the information governance realm, including:
- Records retention and disposition to improve compliance and transparency
- Maturity model assessments to gain greater visibility on improvement areas
- Data source list creation to facilitate identification across all business lines
- Litigation-hold mapping to improve enforcement and tracking of custodial data
- Global IT footprint mapping designed to manage legal and IT-related obligations
- Information flow visualization with key systems to help drive efficiency in data management
- System chronology timelines with commission and decommissioning dates
- Custodial questionnaire development to improve collection accuracy
- Litigation readiness and effectiveness programs to drive compliance and defensibility
- eDiscovery process and technology integration to ensure operational effectiveness
- In-house, co-sourced or outsourced eDiscovery functions to minimize cost and risk management
- Ongoing compliance monitoring, awareness training and change management programs
- High-value audits (eDiscovery and records retention) to ensure compliance and litigation defense
Contact Robert Half Legal
Learn how Robert Half Legal can help you develop an effective and comprehensive information governance and records management program by contacting us at 1-866-894-5598 or locating the nearest Robert Half Legal office.