Posted by Lisa Hamilton on Thursday, August 28, 2014 - 00:00
We all learn at a young age that Mother’s Day is celebrated in the month of May and Father’s Day is acknowledged each year in June and similarly, the date in July we commemorate our country's independence. And in the legal profession, May 1st is recognized by the American Bar Association as National Law Day .
And then there’s “Love Litigating Lawyers Day” – can anyone put a date to that one?
Next Sunday, August 31, is Love Litigating Lawyers Day. While it's not as well-known as other holidays, this day has been designated in the U.S. by a Pennsylvania couple to celebrate the contributions of those in litigation jobs who uphold and defend the laws of the land and help resolve contested matters.
Here’s a quick quiz to test your knowledge about some litigation facts:
1. How many patent lawsuits were filed in U.S. District Courts during 2013?
a) 3,000 – 3,500
b) 6,000 – 6,500
c) 9,500 – 10,000
2. How many District Courts are there in the U.S.?
3. True or False – The litigation practice area is expected to generate the most legal job opportunities during the second half of 2014.
4. Which area within the litigation practice will offer the greatest job opportunities in the second half of 2014?
a) Personal injury
c) Insurance defense
5. How many civil cases are filed in the U.S. each year?
a) More than 15 million annually
b) Less than 7 million annually
c) Between 8 and 9 million annually
6. According to the American Bar Association, the number of lawyers (all lawyers, not just litigators) increased by what percentage since 2003?
a) 41.5 percent
b) 27 percent
c) 19.7 percent
7. Can you name at least three popular television shows and three movies that featured litigation lawyers?
Scroll down for the answers to the quiz.
Question 1. The correct answer is “b.” Plaintiffs filed 6,092 new patent cases in U.S. District Courts during 2013.
Question 2. The correct answer is "c." There are 94 U.S. District Courts.
Question 3. The correct answer is “true.” 42 percent of lawyers interviewed by Robert Half Legal said litigation will account for the most legal job opportunities between now and the end of the year.
Question 4. The correct answer is “c.” Insurance defense was cited by 31 percent of lawyers in a recent Robert Half Legal survey.
Question 5. The correct answer is “a.” More than 15 million civil cases are filed in the U.S. each year.
Question 6. The correct answer is “c.” According to the ABA, the number of lawyers in the U.S. increased 19.7 percent between 2003 and 2013 (from 1,058,662 to 1,268,011 lawyers).
Question 7. According to a survey conducted by Robert Half Legal, the most popular television shows that have focused on litigation lawyers are: "L.A. Law," "Law & Order," "Boston Legal," "The Good Wife," and "Perry Mason." Among the many movies that have featured litigation lawyers are: "A Few Good Men," "To Kill a Mockingbird," "Erin Brockovich," "My Cousin Vinny," "Philadelphia," and "Anatomy of a Murder."
How many answers did you get correct? If you have any interesting litigation factoids to share, please post them in the comment box below.