Posted by Robert Half Finance & Accounting on Wednesday, September 14, 2016 - 11:00 | Follow me
Where can you make more money as a financial analyst — San Francisco or Seattle? Is the pay for a controller higher in Las Vegas or Los Angeles? Accounting and finance salaries are on the rise all over the U.S., and salaries by city can be quite different, depending on where you are.
Robert Half’s latest Salary Guide features accounting and finance salaries for more than 400 positions, and its Salary Calculator customizes salaries by city all over the U.S.
If you're trying to choose among 25 top U.S. cities — which one might fit you best, in terms of career prospects, cost of living, quality of life and cultural diversity, for instance — try our City Comparison Tool.
Finding salaries by city
But back to accounting and finance salaries by city. Let’s say you want to find out the starting salary for financial analysts — those professionals who support business growth by identifying trends in financial data and help senior management make informed decisions.
Factors that impact starting salaries include the size of the company, the type of industry, the employee's education and experience, and geographic location.
Steps to use the Salary Calculator
Go to our Salary Center and scroll to the Salary Calculator. Then follow these instructions to get accounting and finance salaries by city:
- Step 1: Go to the first dropdown for Areas of Specialization and select Accounting & Finance.
- Step 2: Go to the Location dropdown to select the state and then to the next one for the City.
- Step 3: Select “corporate accounting” from the Job Category on the next menu, and then “financial analyst” from the Job Title selection.
- Step 4: Choose from the Company Size dropdown, and Experience, such as whether you have up to a year, one to three years, or management experience. The Current Salary Range will automatically show up on the right, along with the range for the previous year for comparison.
Then you can go directly to the button where you can search financial analyst jobs that match what you’re looking for. Voila!
Accounting and finance salaries
You can generally add 5 to 15 percent to these amounts for graduate degrees or professional certifications. You can also expect higher salaries for senior-level positions, and you’ll find a different range of salaries, depending on whether the companies are small, midsize or large.
Here is a sampling of accounting and finance salaries by job title, job category, company size, experience level — and city — based on data from the Salary Calculator.
You can find all this and more at our Salary Center.
Cost accountant jobs
(Corporate accounting; company size: $250 million and up; experience: one to three years)
- Atlanta: $61,028 to $79,310
- Dallas: $64,583 to $83,930
- Los Angeles: $77,025 to $100,100
- Washington, D.C.: $78,802 to $102,410
(Public accounting; company size: $250 million and up; experience: one to three years)
- Salt Lake City: $72,800 to $92,040
- Spokane, Wash: $57,400 to $72,570
- Boston: $93,100 to $117,705
- Phoenix: $78,750 to $99,562
(Corporate management; company size: $250 to $500 million; experience: any)
- San Jose: $194,198 to $255,163
- Miami: $151,672 to $199,288
- Omaha, Neb.: $137,498 to $180,662
- Portland, Ore.: $150,964 to $198,356
Compliance officer jobs
(Financial services; company size: $250 million and up; experience: any)
- New York: $156,658 to $211,804
- Kansas City, Mo.: $110,608 to $149,544
- San Diego: $139,375 to $188,438
- Richmond, Va.: $109,828 to $148,489
Internal auditor jobs
(Corporate audit; company size: $250 million and up; experience: one to three years)
- Denver: $73,028 to $96,032
- Sacramento: $70,639 to $92,891
- Dayton, Ohio: $59,378 to $78,082
- Las Vegas: $67,568 to $88,852
Financial analyst jobs
(Corporate finance; company size: $250 million and up; experience: one to three years)
- Seattle: $77,400 to $102,900
- Philadelphia: $74,175 to $98,612
- Milwaukee, Wis.: $65,145 to $86,608
- San Francisco: $90,300 to $120,050
Whether you’re looking to move to a different part of the country or looking so you can be prepared the next time you need to discuss pay, be sure to use the Salary Calculator to find accounting and finance salaries by city.
Editor’s note: This post was originally published in 2015 and has been updated to reflect the latest Salary Guide data and City Comparison Tool.