To remain competitive, small and midsize businesses have to know how to recruit good employees. But these days, that's easier said than done. Staffing strategies have changed some in recent years, leaving many employers unsure about the recruiting basics in today's economy. If that sounds familiar, you've come to the right place.
Recruiting is more than just posting a job ad and hoping the right person will respond. Successful recruiting requires preparation, focus and the ability to distinguish top candidates from the also-rans. The more you understand the ins and outs of what leads to successful recruiting, the better prepared you will be to focus on hiring the best person for the job.
We've prepared the following articles to provide you with an in-depth understanding of recruiting basics:
Insights into recruiting
- Hiring Tip: Use the Recruiting Process to Showcase Your Business: How you go about recruiting new talent makes a statement about your small business — which can help determine what job candidates you attract. Click on the link to learn more.
- What to Know About Internal Recruitment: Read the pros and cons of hiring from within.
- Employee Referrals — A Powerful Recruiting Tool: Discover the best methods for using employee referrals to identify potential hires with promise.
- Small Business Recruiting: It often seems like larger businesses have a leg up in the competition for top talent. But that's not necessarily the case. Learn how to leverage the positive aspects of working for a small business to recruit skilled workers.
- Social Media Recruiting — Mistakes to Avoid: More small businesses are using social media to expand the reach of their recruiting efforts, but there are pitfalls to avoid. Discover the five most common mistakes hiring managers make.
A solid salary offer is one of the cornerstones of recruiting basics. Read our survey about trends in starting salaries for new hires.
The importance of job descriptions
- Creating Job Descriptions That Attract Skilled Talent: Did you know that creating an accurate job description is one of the most important recruiting basics? Discover how it affects your business's ability to attract top professionals in your industry.
- Effective Job Descriptions: 5 Critical Elements: Learn how to write a job description that will draw in top talent.
- The Job Description: Your Blueprint for Successful Hiring: The importance of having the right job description cannot be overstated. Read these tips for creating an airtight description that will help drive the job ad and the interview and selection process.
Staffing firms and recruiting
- Staffing Partners: Learn why using a professional staffing partner may be the most important of the recruiting basics, as well as the most common types of services small businesses utilize.
- How Do Staffing Agencies Work? 5 Tips for the Employer: Read our tips for maximizing your experience as a staffing agency client.
More on recruiting and hiring
- Job Applications: Learn why job applications are not as common in the hiring process as they once were and what to consider if you decide to use them.
- An Employee Skills Inventory: Discover what an employee skills inventory is and why it may be worth the time and effort to develop one.
- Hiring Managers: How to Handle Helicopter Parents: When hiring younger employees, it's common for their parents to want to be involved in the process. Discover strategies for setting boundaries and guidelines for job applicants and their parents to follow.
You've reviewed the recruiting basics. Now discover how a specialized staffing firm like Robert Half can assist with your hiring needs.