IT salaries will likely rise in 2017: Robert Half Technology projects an increase of 3.8 percent overall in starting pay for the more than 75 tech jobs we track in our annual Salary Guide.
Technology projects and company-wide initiatives continue to drive the ongoing success of organizations, and that means demand for tech talent across the U.S. remains strong. Add in the fact that the tech industry has higher employment than other sectors, and hiring for many in-demand tech specialties will be a challenge. (Sorry, IT hiring managers.)
According to our research, IT salaries in security and web development will see the biggest growth:
Here are the IT jobs we predict will see the largest IT salary increases* in 2017, divided by specialty:
High-paying IT salaries in security:
- Network security administrators can expect a 5.1 percent increase in starting pay over last year, ranging from $107,750-$155,250.
- Network security engineers will see a 5.7 percent increase in starting salaries over last year, with a range of $115,500-$162,500.
- Data security analysts can expect a 5 percent increase over 2016, from $118,250-$169,000.
High-paying IT salaries in data:
- Database developers will see a projected 5.1 percent increase in pay in 2017, from $108,000-$161,500.
- Big data engineers can expect 5.8 percent more in starting pay in the coming year, ranging from $135,000-$196,000.
- Data scientists will see a 6.4 percent increase in salary in 2017, from $116,000-$163,500.
High-paying IT salaries in web development:
- Front-end web developers can expect 6.2 percent more in 2017, with starting salaries ranging from $83,250-$119,500.
- Web designers will see a 5.2 percent increase over 2016, with salaries ranging from $70,500-$118,000.
High-paying IT salaries in software development:
- Software developers can expect 5 percent more in starting pay in 2017, with salaries ranging from $93,000-$155,000.
- Software engineers will see a 5.2 percent increase in 2017, with starting salaries ranging from $108,250-$164,500.
High-paying IT salaries in networking:
- Network engineers can expect 4.5 percent more in starting pay in the coming year, ranging from $99,000-$146,250.
Get the latest IT job and salary trends in our Salary Guide.
*Please note that an IT salary can be impacted by demand for specific IT jobs, region, industry and a candidate’s level of experience. That means these ranges are accurate for most – but not all – IT pros.
Check out this video of the Salary Guide highlights: