Temporary IT jobs allow you to sharpen existing technology skills and develop new ones — all while making important contacts within the industry. Project work is often a steppingstone to full-time employment for technology professionals. If you're interested in pursuing temporary IT jobs, here are some tips for finding them:
Search on your own
For starters, Robert Half Technology offers resources to simplify your IT job search. Spending a little time on the site will give you a sense of the types of temporary IT jobs available in your area. Professional networking sites can be good resources, too. LinkedIn, for example, offers a robust search function, allowing users to search by field and location, among other criteria. When searching for temporary IT jobs using these resources, be sure to search on terms like contract or project, as well.
Work with a staffing agency
Another idea is to work with a staffing agency that specializes in placing technology professionals in temporary IT jobs. This approach can offer many benefits to you, such as:
- Helping set the stage for success — Reputable staffing agencies will evaluate your skills and experience, and take time to understand your work preferences and career goals, to ensure you are matched with temporary IT jobs and work environments you're likely to thrive in. And once the right opportunity appears, a good staffing agency will move quickly to place you.
- Gaining an edge on the competition — Leading tech staffing agencies maintain relationships with many valuable resources — from companies currently hiring to industry associations to technology professionals the agencies have placed. As a result, they often have the inside track on temporary IT jobs before these jobs are posted to the public, giving you a head start on the competition.
- Taking care of the details — With the resources of a staffing firm behind you, you can focus on your career instead of on the logistics of working as a consultant.
Why Robert Half Technology?
If you want to work with a well-established IT recruitment and technology staffing firm, consider Robert Half Technology. Our parent company, Robert Half, has more than 65 years of experience in the staffing industry. Robert Half Technology places highly skilled candidates in full-time and temporary IT jobs across all areas of expertise, including big data, mobile development and cybersecurity.
Registering with Robert Half Technology grants you a connection to our network of strategic partners, such as Microsoft and the Help Desk Institute. You'll gain access to career resources, like salary data and market research, as well as online IT training opportunities that can help you learn in-demand tech skills.
Find your next technology job
Skilled technology professionals are in demand in cities across the United States. See our open jobs in these hot cities:
- Find systems engineer jobs in Austin, Texas
- Find network engineer jobs in Richmond, Virginia
- Find help desk analyst jobs in Charlotte, N.C.
- Find desktop support jobs in Sacramento, Calif.
- Find database administrator jobs in Tucson, Ariz.
This post has been updated to reflect more current information.