If you're heading to an ASP.NET interview, be ready to get technical. Study up on the following 13 ASP.NET interview questions to help you land your next developer gig.
With a sound working knowledge of the company you're interviewing with and its ASP.NET development team, you will be ready to prep for questions aimed at assessing your level of ASP.NET experience and expertise.
The best policy, of course, is to be prepared to honestly and accurately answer technical questions based on your experience in current or previous programming positions. You should be able to demonstrate not only that you have the right level of ASP.NET know-how, but that you’d also be a good fit for their team.
Preparation makes perfect
You've landed the interview and now it's game time. Be prepared. Before you arrive, make sure you are ready to answer these ASP.NET interview questions:
- What is the ASP.NET page life cycle?
- What is view state? Where is it stored?
- What are ASHX files?
- What does MVC stand for?
- What is the difference between ASP.NET web forms and ASP.NET MVC?
- What is the difference between ViewData, ViewBag and TempData?
- What is the ASP.NET MVC request flow?
- What is an Action in ASP.NET MVC?
- What are Action Filters?
Microsoft ASP.NET expert Adam Tuliper recommends that you also be prepared to answer questions about your participation in online developer communities and forums, questions specific to the role you're applying for as well as those related to past projects you’ve worked on. Questions might include:
- What's your technical online presence like? Have you contributed to StackOverflow or any other forum? Do you have a blog? Do you ever tweet about technology? Have you contributed to any CodePlex or GitHub projects?
- Describe a past system you've designed. Explain the architecture.
- How would you design system X given X business scenario, applicable to [the current job for which you are applying]?
- What area of technology do you feel is your strongest and why?
Extra credit: additional resources for your ASP.NET interview
If you've all but aced the 13 ASP.NET interview questions above, check out our resources for getting the most out of ASP.NET. In addition, here are three more resources for extra ASP.NET interview preparation:
- DevBistro offers .NET and ASP.NET interview questions ranging from basic to tough, followed by questions specific to web application developers, C# developers and more.
- Shivprasad Koirala has shared hundreds of questions from real interviews in his book, .NET Interview Questions.
- Scott Hanselman lists a dozen ASP.NET interview questions you could be asked based on his experience hiring ASP.NET programmers at Microsoft.
Looking for developer jobs? We can help: