Posted by Robert Half on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 05:00 | Follow me
Being a hiring manager today is tough. Unemployment is down. Job openings are up. The best job candidates — you know, the ones that you and your competitors want to bring on board — are in the driver’s seat.
Well, we’ve got good news. We can give you a roadmap to help navigate today’s challenging hiring landscape.
Key employment trends
Here’s a sneak peek at The Demand for Skilled Talent, a new complimentary report from Robert Half that outlines current employment trends and offers the data you need to set a successful recruiting strategy:
- More companies are looking to hire. There were 5.4 million job openings in July 2015, reflecting consistently strong gains, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics’ Job Openings and Labor Turnover Summary.
- The tug-of-war for talent continues. Many of the most in-demand positions have lower-than-average unemployment rates, meaning your talent pool is increasingly limited.
- A new generation is moving in. Generation Z is preparing to enter the workforce in increasing numbers, meaning hiring strategies will need to be adjusted to address Gen Z’s workplace expectations and career attitudes.
- Employees are more willing to quit their jobs. This could mean excellent talent is coming your way. However, it could also present retention challenges.
- Counteroffers are generally counterproductive. Statistics found within the report overwhelmingly indicate that extending counteroffers to workers who are about to leave is a bad retention strategy.
How you can land top talent in today’s market
Here are four ways you can enhance your hiring process to recruit candidates who are a cut above the rest:
- Move quickly. Today’s best candidates often receive multiple job offers — and sometimes a counteroffer, if they’re currently employed. To land them, you’ll need to move quickly and assertively throughout each leg of the hiring process.
- Sell your organization. Candidates will be evaluating employers to see what sets them apart from the competition. Successful organizations waste no time in differentiating their brands from others and letting job seekers know why their company offers the best options.
- Benchmark your compensation. Job seekers are well aware of hiring trends and are confident in their salary expectations. Stay a step ahead of the competition by making sure you compare the salaries you offer with those found in the Robert Half Salary Guides.
- Work with a recruiter. Skilled recruiters specialize in locating top candidates and pairing them with organizations where they can thrive. Recruiters work with hiring managers and job seekers every day, so they understand current hiring and employment trends. They also have an extensive network of talent, so they can often identify passive job seekers who you might not be able to locate on your own.
Again, remember that employment trends affect retention, too. The competition may have your key players in their sights, so it’s imperative that you evaluate your retention plan along with your hiring process. Fortunately, our report addresses ways to keep your current stars, in addition to those you plan to bring on.
Download your free copy of The Demand for Skilled Talent for more insight into today’s employment trends and to stay a step ahead of the competition.