Posted by Doug White on Monday, July 28, 2014 - 00:00 | Follow me
For decades, our company has been dispensing resume advice as well as collecting real-life resume bloopers. These goofs — dubbed "Resumania™" by our founder Robert Half — offer laughs, but also serve as cautionary tales to job seekers of what not to do.
We recently went on an archeological dig into the Resumania™ archives and unearthed a treasure trove of accounting-related resume mistakes. Here are our top 10 all-time favorites:
1. "SKILLS: Familiar with all faucets of accounting."
Accountant by day, plumber by night.
2. "JOB DUTIES: Tax preparer: I prepared client taxes for the 2007 tax year. I provided superior in-person customer service using the telephone."
He may need a better definition of 'in-person.'
3. "OBJECTIVE: My dream job would be as a professional baseball player, but since I can't do that, I'll settle on being an accountant."
Your enthusiasm is overwhelming.
4. "JOB DUTIES: Account retaliation."
We really hope you meant account reconciliation.
5. "WORK EXPERIENCE: Senior accountant (2009 – president)."
A CEO in the making.
6. "QUALIFICATIONS: I have a college degree and seventy years of experience with QuickBooks Pro software."
She's always been ahead of her time.
7. "JOB HISTORY: Accountant assistant (Intern Ship)."
Does that mean you have boatloads of experience?
8. "JOB DUTIES: I peppered customers' tax returns."
He puts the seasoning in tax season.
9. "OBJECTIVE: To obtain a payroll position with a financial organization. To gain a job in the ever-growing design field."
Which is it?
10. "PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE: Accountand."
Hopefully, you're more accurate with numbers than you are words.
Have you seen any amusing resume mistakes? Send examples to [email protected].
Related post: Top 5 Things that Should be on Every Accounting Resume