Posted by Tamara Stanley on Wednesday, November 26, 2014 - 00:00
What do you give thanks for? Is it for finally landing your dream job? Closing the year in the black or building a high-performing team? Or maybe it's having a career that fulfills your intellectual curiosity and reflects your passions. Or perhaps it's a role that offers the balance you need to achieve a satisfying life outside of work.
You may have many professional and personal reasons to give thanks. Below are 25 quotes on gratitude from names you may recognize. Peruse these gratitude quotes to find inspiring perspectives on appreciating your good fortune.
- "Not what we say about our blessings, but how we use them, is the true measure of our thanksgiving." W.T. Purkiser
- "We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures." Thornton Wilder
- "Gratitude is a quality similar to electricity: it must be produced and discharged and used up in order to exist at all." William Faulkner
- "Two kinds of gratitude: The sudden kind we feel for what we take; the larger kind we feel for what we give." Edwin Arlington Robinson
- "The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings." Eric Hoffer
- "Do not take anything for granted — not one smile or one person or one rainbow or one breath, or one night in your cozy bed." Terri Guillemets
- "With arms outstretched I thank.
With heart beating gratefully I love.
With body in health I jump for joy.
With spirit full I live."
- "Hem your blessings with thankfulness so they don't unravel." Author Unknown
- "In life, one has a choice to take one of two paths: to wait for some special day or to celebrate each special day." Rasheed Ogunlaru
- "I truly believe we can either see the connections, celebrate them, and express gratitude for our blessings, or we can see life as a string of coincidences that have no meaning or connection. For me, I’m going to believe in miracles, celebrate life, rejoice in the views of eternity, and hope my choices will create a positive ripple effect in the lives of others. This is my choice." Mike Ericksen
- "The only people with whom you should try to get even are those who have helped you." John E. Southard
- "In ordinary life, we hardly realize that we receive a great deal more than we give, and that it is only with gratitude that life becomes rich." Dietrich Bonhoeffer
- "We should certainly count our blessings, but we should also make our blessings count." Neal A. Maxwell
- "No one who achieves success does so without the help of others. The wise and confident acknowledge this help with gratitude." Alfred North Whitehead
- "Be thankful for what you have; you’ll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never, ever have enough." Oprah Winfrey
- "At times, our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us." Albert Schweitzer
- "The way to develop the best that is in a person is by appreciation and encouragement." Charles Schwab
- "Gratitude is a currency that we can mint for ourselves, and spend without fear of bankruptcy." Fred De Witt Van Amburgh
- "Gratitude turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos into order, confusion into clarity…it makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow." Melody Beattie
- "Acknowledging the good that you already have in your life is the foundation for all abundance." Eckhart Tolle
- "As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words but to live by them." John F. Kennedy
- "Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." Robert Brault
- "If you count all your assets, you always show a profit." Robert Quillen
- "'Enough’ is a feast." Buddhist proverb
- "Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it." William Arthur Ward
How do you express your appreciation? Do you have any favorite gratitude quotes?