Posted by Accountemps on Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 05:00 | Follow me
You have a good job in accounting and enjoy your work, but you want to move up to the next rung on your career ladder. With our roundup of 10 career tools and resources, you can enter a world of accounting job opportunities.
From taking training courses to joining social media groups to learning about the profession online, there are plenty of ways you can boost your skills and expand your network. And there’s no time like the present to start with these career tools:
Professional associations and training courses
Joining a professional accounting association not only looks good on your resume, it also gives you many opportunities to grow your network and learn new skills.
1. The Institute of Management Accountants (IMA). In addition to offering the Certified Management Accountant (CMA) credential, IMA gives members access to the association’s numerous journals, white papers and research studies. It also hosts conferences and webinars.
2. National Society of Accountants (NSA). This organization gives members access to its many publications and offers several educational events and tools, including self-study courses for various certifications. NSA’s resources are designed to help you achieve your continuing professional education goals.
3. American Institute of CPAs (AICPA). The AICPA provides CPA candidates with a wide variety of resources, including conferences and live web events that offer guidance on certifications, scholarships, licensure and more.
Learn more about our accounting certifications and training resources.
Online groups and social media
When joining any online group you plan on using as a career tool, keep your content, including photos, on a professional level. In addition to soaking up information, share your knowledge and answer questions when you can.
4. LinkedIn groups. Most associations, including the AICPA, have private LinkedIn groups for members to stay connected and build their networks.
5. This Way to CPA. Organized by the AICPA, this online community focuses on helping students, exam candidates and anyone interested in advancing their accounting career gain the tools they need to succeed.
6. ARNE Community. Designed specifically for tax and accounting professionals, the Accountant’s Resource Network offers forums, groups and blogs where you can connect with your peers and stay current on the latest industry news.
7. Twitter. From investment tips to economic research, thousands of accounting and finance experts tweet regularly. Following finance-focused Twitter accounts, such as @Accountemps, is a great way to stay current on the latest trends and news in your industry.
Blogs, blogs, blogs
Many accounting experts and organizations blog about the profession, as we do. Regularly reviewing these resources can help you stay inspired and get ahead in your career. When you find a useful blog post, subscribe or follow to make sure you get new posts as soon as they’re published.
8. The Student CPA. Preparing for the CPA exam? On this helpful blog, you’ll find study tips and practice exams, along with guides to master’s programs and internship information.
9. CPA Success. This blog, run by the Maryland Association of CPAs, offers insightful posts covering a variety of topics, including auditing, business strategy, ethics and professional issues, taxation and XBRL.
10. CPA Trendlines. The name of this blog says it all. For a monthly or annual fee, you’ll get access to in-depth articles based on extensive research and analysis for tax, finance and accounting professionals.
Read more of our career insights for accounting and finance professionals at our very own Accountemps blog.